NAVI MUMBAI: The transfer order of Navi Mumbai civic chief Tukaram Mundhe triggered off a strong albeit different response from the citizens and corporators. While residents and social activists expressed their disappointment via social media and signature drives, the corporators were visibly relieved.
Twitter handles such as @wewanttukaram was up and running on Saturday and local groups also held signature campaigns outside railway stations in Mundhe's support.
“We will start an online petition to convey our views to the state,“ said secretary of a citizens' group in CBD Belapur, C K Gupta.
Mundhe's hands-on style of resolving civic issues without consulting the corporators led to his transfer, feel many. “The corporators disliked his direct interactions with the public,“ said activist Ravi Srivastav.
According to a senior leader, the die was cast against Mundhe in October last year, when members of all parties (except BJP) passed a no-confi dence motion against him. “Mundhe had to go as the law is clear about no-confidence motion. I can cite better work done against illegal structures by the respective commissioners of Thane, Kalyan and Ulhasnagar,“ said NMMC mayor, Sudhakhar Sonawane.
Lone political support came from MNS workers, who challenged the BJP's transparency claim.“His argument against the state amnesty plan for illegal buildings may have led to his ouster,“ said activist Rajiv Mishra, who plans to bring the transfer order of the“honest officer“ to HC's notice.
(With inputs from Sanjay Banerjee)